Annual conference announcement
The British Records Association’s Annual Conference 2023 is a one-day tantalising taste of the rich archival resources on the drinks industry in the UK. It will take place on Thursday 5th October, 9.30-17.30 and will be at The Gallery, 77 Cowcross Street, London, EC1M 6EL.
The conference will cover topics such as:
- London’s breweries
- The Brewers’ Company
- The Brewers’ Society and brewery history
- The Government and wine (not a lockdown party)
- The Aberfeldy Distillery
- The British Beer and Pub Association archives
- Reactivation of the Brora Distillery using the Diageo Archives
- The history of Beefeater Gin
- British brewers as patrons of the arts
- Connections between the UK brewing history and contemporary trends, notably female brewers.
The confirmed speakers are: Mike Brown, Archivist (Brewery History Society); Samantha Case, Archivist (Bacardi); Dr Robert Curry, Associate Director, & Annabel Valentine, Archivist (Oxford Brookes University, Learning Resources Directorate); Hannah Dunmow, Archivist (The Brewers’ Company); Professor Judith Hawley (Royal Holloway, University of London); Rachel MacGregor, Acting Archives Manager (Modern Records Centre, Warwick University); Joanne McKerchar, Senior Archivist (The Diageo Archive); Keith Mitchell (The National Archives); Claire Titley, Catalogue Editor (London Metropolitan Archives); and Dr Emma West (University of Birmingham).
As well as focussing on specific breweries and distilleries our speakers will highlight the value of these collections for social, cultural and economic research.
*Conference fees include full catering for the day*
For any accessibility requirements please email our Secretary.